Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sandy Man

Earlier today I got a phone call from what sounded like the least enthusiastic student at UNCW asking if I would like to donate to the alumni fund. I graduated less than 6 months ago, boy do they start early. I tried explaining to the fellow that I lived on cracker's and my parents soy milk and that a $150 donation just wasn't in the cards. He then pushed a smaller donation with all of the enthusiasm of a disenchanted dairy cow in his voice. I listened patiently then thought this.

"I enjoy shrubs"
"Excuse me sir?"
"Yes, I think the landscaping is my favorite thing about my experience at UNCW, the shrubs in particular."
"Yes sir, we have a full-time crew of profess..."
"In fact, what if I told you that I'd be willing to donate $2,500 as long as you can guarantee it will be invested in shrubs?"
"I don't think I can do th..."
"I would like it to be called 'The Nathaniel Sloan Shrub Garden for Student Relaxation,' and I would like it to be situated somewhere along Chancellor's Walk."
"Um."

The conversation ended quickly.

1 comment:

Devin said...

My current roommate, who works at the call center, says it's retarded how they are required to keep pushing smaller and smaller amounts to donate, even when the caller clearly isn't interested. Oh well. Gotta make a living somehow.