Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Envy of up to Three Towns

Tonight we helped the homeless and I discovered just how much of a homeless poser I am. When people ask me where I'm living I usually say something like, "Wherever people will let me," or, "from sofa to sofa," or, "up at the Hotel California." After the requisite blank stare I explain that while my permanent address is with my parents, I'm sort of 'homeless' because I have no regular schedule or place where I'll be sleeping from day to day. If I said that in front of an actual homeless person they'd probably slap my four dollar latte right out of my hand and all over my Weatherproof jacket, (and rightfully so).

We went down to Capital Square, (the name I just invented for the block on which the old capital building stands), and stood outside for about 30 seconds. Soon someone told us that all the homeless people did what anyone in their position would do on a night when it's below freezing outside: they went to the shelters. There we were, a bunch of do-gooders with no one to accept our goodies. Actually, Betty from the shelter happily took all the coats, blankets, and plush over-stuffed kittens - of which there was a surprising amount. We all huddled in a mass on the sidewalk and three people prayed. These were not your typical "it's cold we need to get out of here," or "I'm really thinking about how good this chicken smells," cursory prayers; they were the full-on "elderly Baptist pastor at the end of his best sermon of the year" type of prayers that seemed to go on forever. With every second that passed, the biting cold of the wind made me long for the marginally warmer, yet windproof car.

On the ride back I couldn't help but think about how much it would stink to actually be homeless, but also wonder how people end up there. Are they really just that bad at making decisions? Are the handicapped? Are they all addicted to alcohol and other substances? Why aren't they at least homeless in Miami? It is so cold, but I am happy to know that there are so many organizations out there which are already helping them. God is good but he could be do so much more if we would let Him.

If a Boston Cream Pie got into a fight with a New York Cheesecake, the aftermath would be ugly...
yet delicious.

2 comments:

Chatty said...

did you just compare me to an elderly baptist minister?

poetofthepirates said...

Sweet blog! Good points. I definitely agree that we limit God to what we can do.

Your blog made me laugh too. Good job.

--Morgan