Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Both Sides of the Crazy Isle

The Lot of Them

I decided to clean out my life - quite literally.

Earlier today I made an inventory of all the crap I have lying around which could be stored or, better yet, sold.
After several hours I emerged with a list and in no time had the lot of them posted on Craig's List.

Among the items, I placed an ad for my old Lava Lamp which has spent the majority of the past six years in a closet in my room. It is a basic, average looking lava lamp with yellow lava. I never got attached to it.

About an hour after it was posted a lady replied asking me if the lamp was still available. I told her it was. Afterward I went upstairs to find the thing and see if it still worked. I plugged it in next to my laptop a few hours ago and went away.

I must confess that as I write this I can imagine no reason why I would ever wish to part with so lovely a piece of work as this lava lamp. The happy blobs of yellow keep making there mesmerizing circuit again and again, like egg yokes moving in slow motion. It's almost like some sacred dance of illuminated spirit - rippling, splitting, and joining together in endlessly fascinating ways.

...

Yeah, this freaking thing has to go.

If I had five arms I'd label them alphabetically. My favorite would be Arm-E.

No comments: