Saturday, September 13, 2008

Smelly-Faced

There are some things that you only contemplate while drinking a glass of English Breakfast tea while kneeling down next to your neurotic chihuahua so that she will finally nibble her kibble and eat her supper. Our dog, Maggie, is as sweet as she can be, but she's nervous about everything, including eating by herself. I made myself a plate of steamed veggies for supper and she cowered in the corner just like she always does when anyone is in the kitchen and not paying her attention. I noticed that her food dish was still full when I finished and then I remembered that she likes company when she eats, so I squatted down next to her with my tea and waited for her to start eating. It took a few minutes, but it gave me time to stop and consider what dogs should really be eating. It can't be fun for them to have that dry, tasteless dog food every day. I reached up and grabbed a piece of broccoli. She gave it a few sniffs and, almost reluctantly, began tugging the leafy parts off of the top. Then she pretty much devoured it.

Moral of the story: give your dog some broccoli every now and then.

No comments: